Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thus shalt thou cleanse and purge it


I swear, sometimes I can be such a stereotypical woman.

I have pieces of clothing and shoes that I have held on to for far too long. Some for TEN years! "Well, I might wear it again." "It has sentimental value." "But I got that in Singapore." "It could come back in style." "I spent so much on that." "But I love those jeans!"

My favorite and probably MOST typical:

"Maybe I will be a size 3/4 again."

How rediculous. Really.

Even if BY CHANCE I am actually ever a size 4 again (which I seriously doubt), wouldn't it just be better to get new clothes????

So, I spent a big part of yesterday fighting with my packrat side & CLEANSED my closet. There were 7-8 shopping bags of clothes and shoes that I donated. It was tough letting some of it go (especially the cute size 4 jeans!!!!) How crazy is that? Talk about holding on to too much. It felt good to let it go & to donate it to hopefully someone who'll need it much more than me.


"Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out." ~ Tina Turner


(Ack! I still have my dressers to go through....)

9 comments:

g-man said...

Yeah I should take a picture of our closet, my wife and I are both packrats. (not Oprah quality, but we do have a lot of clothes, and papers, and stuff)

I tagged you on my blog, I hope you don't mind.

ETK said...

Wow! I'm impressed. Clothes are the only things I packrat myself. I'm such a sucker to the "well, I might be a 3/4 any day now" and so I keep it. All those expensive suits and work clothes!!! When, we all know, I'd totally just buy a new wardrobe if I ever make it there again.

You go girl! For being so strong!

Ian said...

I read a good tip about this...Turn all the clothes in your closet around so the hangers face the same way, then, when you use something, put it back the opposite way. Anything still facing the other direction after a year can be gotten rid of.

I think Nikki and I are doing the whole clear out thing soon, most of our clothes no longer fit us (but in the good way), so it's time to throw them out. All my shirts look like tents on me now.

Jen said...

I do this about once a year. However. . . . I keep the expensive suits ETK was speaking of. As if I'm even working. Duh. Time to toss.

Like ETK, we all know that even if I could wear them once more, I'd go buy new one's instead.

***sigh***

Tink said...

My problem is that I haven't gone shopping in too long. Right now I own ONE pair of jeans. ONE! I have four pairs of shorts, five long sleeve shirts, and seven t-shirts. Only five are work appropriate though. The rest are clothes that are worn through, ruined, or too small. I think I keep them around so my wardrobe doesn't look so pathetic. The drawback of that is that sometimes you grab for the wrong pants and try to slip on some that wont make it past your thighs. Yeah... Those are the BAD days.

Allison Horner said...

G-man: Yes, thank God Pups (aka Hubby) & I are not Oprah-show-material packrats (I saw an episode like that & Good Gravy it was scary). Of the like 8 bags I donated, only one was of my hubby's clothes.

ETK: My packrattiness is improving over the years. Clothes & bills are my worst offenses.

Ian: GREAT tip. I think I am going to try to incorporate that idea. AND I am jealous b/c a good deal of my clothes (especially the pants) were too small. :( The 30's have hit!

Jen: You are so good! I need to be better of getting rid of clothes more often. One idea Hubby & I had was for every one piece of clothing bought, donate at least one. I would hold on to the really expensive items, too, especially suits. I bought my first suit 2.5 years ago for my PA school interview & bought a few more this year for the one stoopid physician that made his students wear suits. (Like students can afford this!)

Tink: Girl! I just got rid of like 8-10 pairs of jeans. I am down to 3 & I can't believe it is only 3 b/c I love jeans so much. If I was near ya, I'd take you shopping bargain-Alli style! ;)

Valley Girl said...

I used to do that, too!

tt said...

Ok, so that means there's no more 'fat' clothes or or 'someday' clothes??? Just 'now' clothes???
How liberating that must be.
Good for you.
I clean out my closet every winter and donate bunches of stuff. I like to help where I can but I also like the 'tax' receipt...call me chintzy...but this way everyone gets helped.
Oh, and....you look like you're a 3/4 to me...can't believe you're not!
You're ageing into your 30's very well!!!!!!!

Allison Horner said...

Valley girl: Welcome to my blog! Hope you had a good birthday!

TT: I love it when you butter me up. :)