Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!


We have a full plate planned for Turkey Day helping those in need, so I wanted to send this tonight!

A recipe for you!

Pumpkin Bread

1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans

- Sift flour with baking soda, salt, baking powder and all spices
- Cream sugar and oil, beat in eggs and pumpkin
- Add flour mixture (from step one) and water, alternating a little at a time
- Add raisins and nuts (* or choc. chips), and mix well
- Bake in two 4x8 loaf pans or one large loaf pan at 350 for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (or you can bake it in 4 mini-loaves for about 35-38 minutes, again toothpick should come out clean)

NOTE:
* Raisins and nuts are optional, you can also do mini-chocolate chips instead or the raisins with the nuts, or only the chips.

I am making it tonight with the choc chips!!! mmmm!!

7 comments:

Princess of the Universe said...

This has made me hungry- I'm glad it's almost lunch :)

Jen said...

Happy turkey day! And what a great way to spend your holiday - hope it went well!

Allison Horner said...

Princess: Welcome to my blog & Happy Thanksgiving!

Jen: Happy Thanksgiving!!! I hope you are having a good one. Unfortunately our morning of "volunteering" was VERY disappointing, but we ended up having a good day at the "Colfax Cottage" with my 'rents. More details to come fo' sho'!

Jen said...

I volunteered once at a kitchen for Thanksgiving when I was in Youth Group at my church. I was in high school - I think 15 years old - and many of the homeless people that came for food passed by calling me, "rich b*tch." I really got shaken, b/c I really wanted to be there and help, but I was young and heart broken.

I never went back.

I hope yours wasn't as traumatizing.

Anonymous said...

No matter what folks think of H-Town, no one can say they don't have a HUGE heart. Whenever these volunteer opportunities arise, nearly half the town, it seems, rushes in to help. (Remembering the crowds and outpouring of money and goods helping the New Orleans refugees here, too.)
Jen: I never let angry folks get me down. I just figure they are angry at the wrong person.

Allison Horner said...

It was nice to see how many people showed up yesterday morning to volunteer.

Jen: I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, that would probably traumatize me enough at that age not to go back either. Yesterday wasn't traumatizing & thankfully it had nothing to do with those in need....it was those who were poorly running it. I'll probably post about it later today or sometime this weekend.

We had a very nice Thanksgiving, though. I am very thankful for so much! :)

tt said...

Recipe sounds wonderful
I'll try it out later on. Thanks!