Friday, November 30, 2007

Dear God, I didn't mean today

Near the end of my afternoon 3 mile run, I nearly had my Jeff Corwin moment.

I was doing my cool down walk when I almost stepped on a 3 foot snake that was chillin on the sidewalk outside of my house. My first reaction was a little scream that I stopped mid scream with my hand over my mouth. Yes, even this former snake handler can be startled by snakes. I handled mostly conditioned pythons, not wild Texas snakes.

My second reaction, go into the house & grab the camera!

I came back out and the snake had gone into the grass & then quickly slithered into my neighbor's shrub. So, then I had to go get the broom to coax it out of the bush for pictures. I had to take pictures! Duh! (I didn't even know at this point if it was venomous...I know, I'm an idiot.)

I'm not an expert, but it looks like a constrictor of some sort, perhaps a rat snake (not a venomous viper).

How cool is that! And no, I didn't kill it & Jen, I think it would take a MUCH bigger bird to eat this lil guy. ;)

UPDATE: I think it might be a water snake: Nerodia erythrogaster







Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Jen said...

Um. Yeah. The only things that I will kill (and sanction anyone else to put death upon) are spiders and cockroaches. Everything else should live.

I know. I wouldn't make a good Buddhist. I just can't do the creepy spiders and nasty-arsed cockroaches.

This snake is cool! I'm going to need a definition of what kind it be though. . .

Jen said...

I should say that all killing shall be done humanely and quickly. Don't, as I have found, paint over a spider. That's an awful way to kill something (bad, bad person) and terrifying for the person who finds it (i.e. moi). As well as suffocating for the spider. It's also very cruel.

If you're going to do so, do it quick and in the nicest way possible. Like smooshing. Or swatting.

Allison Horner said...

Snakes are pretty cool, eh? This was a cute one for sure.

Yes....La Coocaraches need to die....we have no use for their nastiness other than scaring the bejebus outta us! I hates them.

tt said...

I sorta like snakes. Lovee, on the other hand, HATES them with a passion!!
Go figure. Wish someone could have caught you on camera stifling your scream...LOL...that would have been cute! ;)

Ian said...

Uh, yeah. That's a big old snake. I might have screamed a girly scream myself upone seeing it.

Tink said...

I like snakes!

...From a distance. :)