Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Tag! You're It!


I have been tagged by the lovely Texaconsin Diva with what is called a "Meme." I don't know what a "Meme" is. Maybe it means this is all about ME!!! Anyway, here goes....

First here are the rules:

1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share 5 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 5 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are TAGGED by leaving a comment on their blog.

OK, here comes the randomness......

1. I have met 3 "famous" people thus far in my life. This is a lot of info, so I'll make it my 1-2.
The first person I met was the mailman, Mr. "Speedy Delivery" McFeely, from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. I was in high school & met him randomly at a New Year's city celebration in Erie, PA. I know! You are so jealous aren't you? The next famous person I met was Brendan Fraser. This is a funny story. It was when I was living in Singapore. He was there promoting his movie "George of the Jungle". I was with my parents walking to an art museum to see a Leonardo DaVinci exhibit when all of sudden my Dad says, "Hey wasn't that Brendan Fraser? You know, the guy from Encino Man?" He was referring to a man arguing with a women that we had just past on the street. I looked back, and yeah it was him. He kinda stuck out like a sore thumb in this Asian country. "Yeah, Dad, that's him!" He replies, "Well, here take one of my business cards & pen and get his autograph." I say, "But Daaa-aad, he is arguing with that woman. Maybe we should leave them alone." He replies, "Come on. You may not ever get this chance again." "Oooo-kay," I say. I then quietly walk up to him & ask. He looks at me, with shock, and says, "Not right now." "OK. Sorry for the interruption," I then walk away embarrassed. "Well," my Dad says. "Nadda." We then head into the museum and when we are done we sit outside at the museum's cafe to have some coffee & then all of sudden Brendan comes out with his entourage, sees me & stops at our table. He looks at me and says, "Would you still like that autograph?" "Sure," I say. We then chat for a few minutes and he then continues on his way. That women he was arguing with was his girlfriend and now wife.

2. The 3rd famous person I have met is my favorite of the three & also one of my heroes, so she gets her own number. I had the privilege of meeting the famous primatologist, Jane Goodall. She came to Cornell when I was a student there & gave a lecture. Her lecture was amazing! I love her stories and her work with chimps. I got to speak to her briefly after her lecture. It's pretty cool to be able to meet one of your heroes.

3. One of the scariest days of my life was when I was at a slumber party in 9th grade. I have never told my family this, mostly because I haven't thought about in forever & at the time I didn't want them to worry. I was at one of my very good friend's house with probably about 6 - 7 other girls for a slumber birthday party. Well, as we usually did we were up late playing games, watching movies, snacking, & probably talking about boys and doing what young teenage girls do. Well, someone got the idea that we should go out for a walk late that night. We all had our jammys on & snuck out while her parents were sleeping. We were walking along & giggling about who knows what when this jeep pulls up with 2 older guys we didn't know. They were obviously very intoxicated and were trying to get all of our attention. They turn off the car & come out the jeep running after us. We got scared and sprinted back to my friend's house. I don't know if I slowed down or what, but after half us went around the house one way and the other half the other way, I was the last one to go through the back door when one of the guys grabbed my T-shirt. I slammed the door & part of my T-shirt that he had a hold of was caught in the door. I quickly locked the door & begged him through the door to let my shirt go. He kept saying he wanted to talk to me, but I said no way. I didn't know him, he was drunk, older, and I didn't trust him. Finally he let go of my shirt and went away. I think I had also threatened to start yelling & wake up my friend's step-dad. (I can't believe they NEVER woke up through all of these shenanigans.) I guess I could have just taken my shirt off...no one would have seen me. I can't remember why I didn't do that. Anyway, that was very scary. Who knows what that drunk guy could have done. I was very fortunate & learned a valuable lesson that night.

4. Most of you all know this already. When I was living in Singapore, I worked as an assistant zoo keeper in the small mammal and reptile exhibits at the Singapore Zoological Gardens, now known as the Singapore Zoo. I just learned they changed their name. I wonder why they did that? Singapore Zoological Gardens sounds nicer to me, even if it is more wordy. Anywho, my daily tasks involved assisting in cleaning & helping design the exhibits, preparing and feeding the animals, and helping with the visitor photography/education hours with a python. Yes, I got to carry around the pythons they used for the photos. Very cool! My favorite animals to feed were the Giant Galapagos turtles (such gentle giants & very wise...estimated to be close to 100 yrs old), the pygmy mongoose (what a great matriarchal family that was), and most of all the Oriental small-clawed Otters & their BABIES! These babies were sooooo cute. As I approached the exhibit, I would yell, "Babies!" and they would all start squeaking and swim towards to me to be fed. So cute! I loved working there.


5. My final random thing about me is that people ALWAYS say I look like someone they know. I look like their best friend's sister, someone they grew up with, a cousin, "are you so and so's sister?" yadda-yadda-yadda (sorry, watching Seinfeld as I type this). So do I really have that universal of a look? I really didn't think so. I even have a classmate that always calls me by the wrong name at first and then apologizes and says, "you look so much like my best friend's sister!" Man, it's so weird!!!!!!!

So, there ya go! Just a few more tidbits about me you may or may not have known.

Now it's my turn to TAG 5 others:

TAG YOU'RE IT!

1. ETK: Because I know you'll have some great things to tell us & you'll have fun doing it!
2. TT: Because she is such a sweetie & I know she'll get a hoot out of it. I bet she has some great stories tell, too.
3. Sunshine: Because she needs to blog MORE!!!!
4. Bobbie: Because she also needs to blog more & needs more distractions from studying! Mwahh-ahhh-ahhh!
5. Tink: Because I just recently started reading her blog & it is now one of my favs. I am glad Jen "introduced" me to her.

Have fun!!! I am looking forward to your posts. Don't forget the rules!

5 comments:

Jen said...

It's funny how I now remember these stories you & I exchanged in the past! Especially the Brendan Fraser one. . . I love how they've morphed over the years. They actually look like real people look. Not all botoxed and matchstick.

I never knew about your 9th grade adventure though. My parents would have killed me too.

Thanks for sharing the lurve! Interesting facts about you - I used to hate these "meme" things, but I really like them. You learn so much. Nice jobbie-job!

tt said...

Ummmm, I don't know how to 'link my tagger' and i don't know anyone else to tag except who YOU tagged.
But I'll do a 'meme' of sorts anyway....how's that?

Jen said...

tt: you can link by doing the following:

-when typing your post highlight the word or phrase by left clicking and moving your mouse over said word/phrase.

-on the same page you are typing you will see a "world with a link/chain" type of logo; go click that. An "http:// box" comes up.

-in another open web page again highlight the address in the address bar and right click. Then click on the "copy" in the list that pops up.

-go back to your "http:// box" and right click again in that box. Hit "paste" (be sure to make sure there are not 2 http://'s listed - use only one)

- hit enter.

that should do it for linking. It may take a few times of trying.

Good luck!

Tink said...

I've never met anyone famous. Although I thought I saw John Travolta one time. It wasn't. *Sigh* But the thing that makes me envy you the most is not your brush with celebrities, but that you lived in Singapore and worked at a zoo! How cool is that?! Why did you ever leave?

ETK said...

Thank you! I haven't forgotten about this (like I totally dropped the ball on the community blogger award), I will post. :) Probably this weekend.