Monday, October 29, 2007

I can't fix it

The difficult thing about almost being a PA, that I know I am going to facing for years to come, is that I will probably always be asked medical questions by friends & family. Ethically, I should always say that, "I am not your medical provider, so I cannot diagnose you. However, I can tell you that you should definitlely go see your PCP." However, I know there will be times when I will probably give more specific advice than that. For example, when the hubby asks me questions. Most recently he has been having ball-of-foot pain & actually my first response was, "make an appointment with your doctor." He tried this & his doctor is out of town & so is their podiatrist that they have in their office. So, my next word of advice, "Make another appointment with one of her colleagues & have them refer you to a podiatrist or orthopedist." I'm such a big help, huh? Well, he doesn't do this. So, I try to give him further assistance. Now let me tell you, I have very LITTLE orthopedic experience. Plus, I don't exactly have an xray machine in my house, so a definitive diagnosis would be tough (and again, unethical). So, I look up what it might be based on his symptoms, give him the possibilities, and then just end up telling him my catch-all orthopedic advice until he makes an appoinment which is RICE treament + antiinflammatories. RICE is rest, ice, compression, and elevation. The antiinlammatory would be something over-the-counter like tylenol. Oh, and he needs to wear comfortable shoes when he has to walk. I hear New Balance are recommended by a lot of podiatrists & orthopods. He frowns & says that's all? "Sorry, my love. I'm not an orthopedist. That's all I know what to do other than telling you to see your doctor & maybe an orthopod if necessary." I wish I could fix it for him, but I can't. That's all I can do. And he's luckier than most of my family & friends because, I gave him more advice than the "See your doctor" schpeal.

I'm going to be a PA people, not a miracle healer. MMMkay.

;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then, of course, maybe RICEX is the answer. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation and Xango.
I know, my answer to everything.

Allison Horner said...

Yes, Mom's Xango worked for her!!! I need to tell him to drink more Xango & me, too. :)

Jen said...

Why don't you have an x-ray machine in your house?

tt said...

Xango???
Pups is such a guy isn't he? LOL
Is an X-ray machine on your chirstmas list? :)

Allison Horner said...

Nah, cuz then I'd have to learn how to use it or hire an xray tech and that's just too much of a hassle. ;)

So, not too long after this post, I get an email from Pups saying that he did get a podiatrist appt this AM. Thankfully!!! Now they can get the ball rolling on treatment.

His diagnosis is what I thought it was (or least one of several on my differential diagnosis list). It's plantar fasciitis. TT, you & Pups can compare notes.

Allison Horner said...

TT: Click on the Xango link. This is the only thing that seems to be helping my mom keep her back pain at bay. It's done wonders for her (& apparently many others). It is supposedly chock full o' antioxidants from its mangosteen juice which has been "marketed for more than 20 human health benefits, among which are "anti-inflammatory," "anti-microbial," "anti-fungal," "anti-viral," "anti-cancer," "anti-ulcer," "anti-hepatotoxic," "anti-rhinoviral," and "anti-allergic"." There is no scientific proof based on studies & it is not FDA approved, but it seems to help some people out there. It seems to have helped my mom.

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness. No "seems to" about it.
I knew we were onto something when I was able to help clear out the section of woods for the new shed.
And I can't believe the stories I have heard from folks who take it! Amazing. But even without the pain-going-away benefits, scrubbing out those nasty, pesky free radicals (whatever they are) is part of the fun.

Sunshine said...

This doesn't apply here, but I've got to tell you how much I love the photo of you and Scott. I cracked up!!!