Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Glad it's over

My Psych rotation was interesting, and I do feel like I learned a lot. However, overall I am disappointed with the exerience. I only spent a total of 10 days with the physician with him being on vacation and my 2 days of being ill. So, I feel like I got jipped on the full experience. Yet, there is a part of me that was glad I got to have another week of internal medicine with the other physician for that week. I didn't click very well with this physician. I was disappointed with several things. First of all, all he does is pharmacological management. There was almost no counseling. I personally feel there needs to be BOTH! Meds do a lot, but there needs to be counseling, too. Sure, some of the patients also see therapists...but many can't afford both. But unfortunately, I am learning that some people focus more on the bottom line....what makes the most money in the shortest amount of time. Man, that really irritates me. Life is not all about money!!!!! GRRR! There are certain physicians that seem to only care about the GREEN.

I really wanted to experience the counseling side of psych, too. I do feel like I learned a lot more about the most common psych illnesses and the meds that treat them. I also learned that psych is NOT my thing. I definitely don't want to do that full time. NO WAY!!!!

I'm so glad this rotation is almost over. I am so ready to move on to surgery!!! I hope it will be a better experience.

I could probably vent about a lot more things, but I won't....I would just sound like I am complaining....

Time to focus more on my upcoming exam....

3 comments:

Jen said...

I know you have to do a psych rotation, but I could've told you it wouldn't be excellent. Nor fun. Nor non-drug prescribed fun sans therapy. Most insurance companies don't cover loads of psych schtuff. And, well, it's sometimes easier to just prescribe than to therapy - which doesn't excuse it. It's just that way.

Bummer.

Anyhow, good luck on big exam tomorrow. Letusno how it goes!

Allison Horner said...

Yeah, that was an important thing for me to learn. Again, I am glad that I had the experience since I now have a stronger knowledge and appreciation for the psych diseases and meds. The meds can do some wonderful things. I just really wish I could have seen at least a little bit of counseling and/or psychoanalysis....but I guess that is the job of psychologists and therapists.

To be perfectly honest, it was more the physician that I worked with this month that I was disappointed with. Most of the docs, PAs, NPs, etc that I have worked with have been good or great. I was less than satisified with this one for various reasons.

However, today I briefly visited that other doctor I worked with 2 weeks ago when the psychiatrist was on vacation, and he wrote me a great eval & said he would hire me in a minute. That made me feel better. That's 3 offers so far! YEAH! :) And have had several offer to write recommendations.

Thanks for your input & wishing me luck!!! :)

Jen said...

Well, I'm not in the field anymore and haven't been for a VERY long time. This is how I remembered it. I was hoping that it had changed over the years. I guess not. That's unfortunate, but I have to admit in working with some severely mentally ill people, the best thing for them was medication. Some were just too far gone for therapy and I honestly came to believe that not everyone should live in society. Being a danger to yourself or others, well, that is kinda big. . . .

Anyhow, while I couldn't handle cutting people open (I'd turn white, throw up and pass out), I think you'll love it! I'm sure if you've had a job offer for every one of your rotations - you can probably expect one from this too! That's pretty damn cool!

Good luck on your exam and starting your new and improved surgery rotation! You'll be awesome at both!