Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The ED

Well, I survived my first 12 hour shift in the UTMB emergency department (ED). I actually really enjoyed it. I worked with nice attendings and a cool intern (who happens to be from Hawaii). They pretty much agreed with my plans for the patients that I saw. It made me wish that had the ability to put orders in for the patients to get things moving faster. The thing that annoys me about the ER is how long the patients have to wait at times for things to get done. But that is just the way it is sometimes. I just wish I could help it move faster.

I saw various things. There were the common abdominal pains, chest pains, etc. We also had some very interesting psych patients come in, some sadly, who where acutely psychotic & screaming. One lady kept talking about "us" and "her boyfriend." We found out that "her boyfriend" lived inside of her. She also ended up yelling at all of us & that we all were watching her & would end up spending 100 years in prison. Wow, she was angry! Poor lady. It was definitely an interesting shift!

I work 12 12-hour shifts this month with some day and some night shifts and some weekends involved. It'll be a good mix.

1 comment:

Jen said...

The husband comes home with some pretty good stories now and then himself!

Every once in awhile I watch the ER/Trauma shows on A&E or Discovery. One episode I will never forget. A lady came in complaining about something or other, but she was paranoid that the staff would hurt her worms. She said the worms lived inside her and the staff thought she may have some psychosis on top of her psychosis, but it turns out - through the doctor's discovery - that she actually had worms living inside her. Earth worms. If I remember correctly, something like 50 earthworms that she had put in her arms and legs. All of them had names.

I almost threw up. But I couldn't turn the station. Even the ER doc was utterly amazed.