Thursday, May 3, 2007

Orthopedic Surgery/Sports Medicine???

So, I had an interesting experience yesterday.

I drove into the medical center to look into a possible part time/short term research position at the Bone & Joint Clinic of Houston. I was considering this only as a short term thing that I might be able to do as I finish up school, thinking it would be good experience, something to add to the resume, and get some networking in. So, I interviewed with a women about the position, and it turns out that they need someone sooner then I would I have time for (meaning before I finish my clinical rotations). BUT, she then asked me if I had time to meet & talk to one of their new orthopedists. Of course I was available! She then introduced me to that orthopedic surgeon who also happens to be needing a PA most likely around the time I will graduate. We chatted for a while about my interests/background, what he does (mostly sports medicine), & what responsibilities the PA he will soon need will have. It sounds very interesting! The PA will have clinic and OR responsibilities...lots of hands on procedures. Sounds like it could be right up my alley. So, this has peaked my interests big time. We also chatted a bit about our personal lives, to get that personal get-ta-know-you stuffs in. I got a good vibe from him & like his attitude of what he thinks makes a good practitioner....you have to have good people skills. I agree. He feels that if he can hire a PA with good people skills & who has a good upbringing, he can train them to do the rest. Anywho, I was honest with him & told him I have zero ortho experience & will not have an ortho rotation. He said not to worry. I have surgery & family medicine experience, both of which I loved....and again, he can teach the rest. I expressed a strong interest & said that I would also be interested in shadowing him in the clinic & OR in my upcoming free time if that was possible. He agreed that would be a great idea. Pretty cool, eh? Who knew that yesterday's journey would have lead to that....it was pretty much an interview for a PA job.....which I had no idea would happen. At the very least, I thought maybe going to that interview for the research job, I might acquire some networking with peeps in the medical center. I definitely turned out to be a lot more! Very cool!

So, this actually got me pretty pumped! I will definitely look at this as a possibility. As I told hubby, I am sure there will be other options that come my way (including some of the other job offers I have had) and I will carefully research all of them to see what fits me best.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this sounds promising for us boomers...lol

Sunshine said...

Very cool!! I have no doubt that you will land the most fabulous PA position :) Good luck!!

tt said...

I ditto your mom!! teehee
You've got personality plus and a great upbringing so you'll land a fabulous job for sure!
You rock!

ETK said...

:( It's STILL not in ATL. :) Ok, but I'm happy for you! I bet you are going to get like 1 MILLION job offers!!!