Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Crazy Plants


My parents got this crazy plant and cool pot for me for my bday. I absolutely love it! I have always enjoyed plants, especially unique ones.

If you are interested:

Scirpus cernuus (Fiber Optic Plant)
Intriguing tufts of glossy, thread-like leaves growing to a length of up to 12’’ with minute white flower spikes/seed heads on the tips of each leaf, the very image of a fiber optic lamp. A water lover. It is listed as a subtropic plant in most literature, however, it has proven to be quite hardy, surviving the lower teens in pots and would take lower in a wet situation I am certain. It also makes an excellent house plant, tolerating lower light as long as its feet are soggy. As a bonus, makes excellent "hair" on a planter in the shape of a human or animal head.
From http://www.worldplants.com/scirpus.htm
Thanks to my fellow classmate who emailed me this info.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Cool plant! I'm jealous - Sir-Chew-On-This eats anything living or green and then some, so I can't have nuttin' like that in our home. It all has to be outside and even then if he gets out he sees "delicacy". . .

. . . *wishing I could have plants* . . .

P.S. I'm with you about Memorial Day weekend. It should be about remembering those who have served as well as those who lost their lives so that we the people of the USA can be free to speak, live and love. I hope you have fun on your trip regardless.

Allison Horner said...

Amazingly..*knocking on wood*...Simon has not eaten this one and my ONE other real indoor plant, my pathos ivy (which was a good-bye gift when I left Lexicon).