Friday, April 6, 2007

I didn't think I'd like it

I finished my first week of general surgery in Victoria and am home for the Easter weekend. Luckily, the Surgical Associates that I am working with observe this Good Friday as a HOLY-day. (It's amazing to me that more people don't...this is the day we observe our Lord dying for our sins ya know....isn't that important????)

Anywho, I really didn't think I would enjoy surgery. I had scrubbed into a few during my OBGYN rotation (hysterectomies, c-sections, tubals, etc), and really didn't have that great of experiences...although the c-sections were pretty amazing. I think those not so good experiences where b/c most of the residents during OBGYN were so stressed out with their own learning, that many times that had no patience for us PA & Med students and could be down right mean at times. I never let them break me and tried to be sympathetic since I knew they were stressed, but some of their grumpiness was not necessary. ANYWHO, I had a GREAT week in surgery this week. I worked with a different surgeon each day, and although some were nicer than others, they were all pretty good at teaching and most were pretty patient with me as I get used to being in the OR. I have to get used to sterile procedures and as the first assist to the surgeon, you have to learn to anticipate their next moves (retracting, wiping/suctioning, helping with suturing/stapling...which I hope to learn to suture this month...etc) Most of them said I was doing a good job (esp for my first week in gen surg). One of them was even suggesting that maybe I should consider a surgery career. Yesterday, one of the procedures was pretty gross...I won't explain....and the surgeon says to me, "If you start to feel sick, please let us know and step away." I said, "Yes, sir." But I was a trooper and was right in the scene the whole time, and never got sick. At the end he said I handled it very well...he almost seemed surprised. I asked him if he thought I wouldn't do well, and he replied with "I didn't know...but you did very well....what was your background before this?" Anyway, I assume he was impressed, and that made me feel pretty darn good.

I saw about 20 surgeries this week. It ranged from putting ports in for patients needing chemo, benign fibroid removal from a breast, gall bladder removal (cholecystectomy), spleenectomy, hemrrhoidectomies, appendectomies, colon resection, etc. I think the one that was most sad was a colon resection and liver biopsy on a 38 yr old woman who had metastatic colon cancer. That is not common in that age group. I got to see the HUGE tumor that was in the part of her colon, and some of the mets. Her 5 year survival rate is like less than 10%. That is really sad. A young mother of 2. :( Her surgery was considered palliative, not curative.....meaning, only to ease her pain and bowel problems.

But on a brighter note, these surgeries were good things that really help these people. I had a fun week being right in the action. Most surgeries were exciting, sometimes with unexpected findings. Watching/helping the surgeon trouble-shoot through some of it was really fun. It was stressful at times, and VERY exhausting and sometimes long days, but FUN! I really enjoyed it! hmm....so do I need to consider surgery now????? I guess we shall see......

One more silly note.............

There's nothing like holding some guys colon while the doc has to answer a cellphone call as the nurse holds it to his ear.

Can you picture me doing that???? (or maybe you don't want to).


Hope this didn't gross you out too much. ;p

2 comments:

tt said...

LOVE IT!!! I watch some of that stuff on TV. Very interesting I'd say. I'm in awe of your learning capabilities and the experience you're getting. Fabulous!
Keep it up!

Jen said...

It's sounds pretty awesome. . . for you!

Me? I'd faint holding someone's colon - you know poo and I don't mix well; even if it's only just holding the encasing. . . Um. Ew.

But that's me and that's you. And why you can do what you do and I can't! Good for you! [I'm really excited to learn about what experience is going to lead you to your next career. . . . sans caged rats, of course!]

*I'm back among the living cyber space of this world. Finally.*