Sunday, January 28, 2007

Test of Love & Patience

Pets do bring much joy, love, and companionship to our lives, but at times they are also a test of patience & love....

Let's just say that I have been blessed with 2 very INTERESTING animals that test me almost on a daily basis. The cat, whom I adopted as a kitten from the SPCA, is literally insane. I truly think he is either bipolar or possessed with a demon spirit. One moment he is lovey, meowing like a kitten and the next moment is drawing blood from one of us with his vicious, angry attack biting. Oh, then there is the occasional knocking stuff off counters, dressers, etc, just to get attention. Why do I keep him, you ask? Perhaps I am the crazy one. Ironically, I actually tried returning him when he was a kitten back to the SPCA....but they were closed. So, I took that as a sign that I had made a promise to keep him, and it was to stay that way...for good & bad. He was on amitriptyline, an antidepressant, for a little while, but I stopped giving it too him after a few months......almost 4 years later, I am thinking of putting him back on it.....maybe for my sanity. Ever since we got back from our 2 week Christmas vacation, he has been unruly!

Ah, then there is the dog. I also love her very much, but she, too, has much emotional baggage. She was rescued off the street by a friend of mine, I believe about 3.5 - 4 yrs ago. The poor dog was a mess....flea ridden, emaciated, a poorly healed hip, heart worms, and a herniated diaphram (the later which I found out weeks after I took her in). We got her fixed up, and today she is very beautiful and healthy. She only has occasionaly limping in her bad hip, and......still much emotional baggage. Unfortunately, she must be kenneled when we leave the house or she tears through all the blinds in the house & scratches at the door to try to get to find us. Total separation anxiety. The kenneling is supposed to be a safe, secure place to keep them calm when the owner is away....but I am not sure it serves this purpose for Merlah. Today we purchased her 3rd crate! She busted out of the first one completely, and ruined some blinds in our new house (she had done that in my old apartment). The 2nd one was on it way out....even though I thought it was a stronger one. So, today we bought one of those big plastic ones, and Friday I take her to the vet for a vaccine, physical, and blood tests. The vet told me she may have to be placde on an anxiolytic in order to keep her calmer/happier during the day when we are gone.

It sounds absolutely insane, doesn't it? Both of my pets might need "mood altering" meds. I have actually cried about this. Was this something I have done? But I know it isn't. I just ended up with 2 rescued pets that have emotional baggage. Just like humans, sometimes medications are needed to help....and to help those around them be able to handle them better. Again, some people would ask why do you keep them? Well, the simple answer is that I love them, have grown attached to them, and even though they are crazy at times, they are a part of my family.

Yes, they test me at times....but most of the time, they bring me joy (the dog more than the cat...I must admit....)








2 comments:

ETK said...

Awww! :( I'm sorry - but it's definitely not something you've done. I am sure it's just the baggage they brought. You are such a good mom!

Anonymous said...

Do you have room for one more?
"Love dog" would fit right in and probably keep Merlah busy.
Hummmm...
ETK is right, you are such a good Mom..don't give it another thought that you've caused it. We "pet" people know exactly what you're talking about and going through.
Trudge on brave one....trudge on!
tt