Friday, August 10, 2007

At least I've narrowed it down, I think....

So, as the summer winds down and my Fall semester creeps up, I definitely have to start getting serious again. I have pulled out some of my text books and am already beginning to study for my board exam known as the PANCE. At the very earliest, I can take this exam 7 days after my graduation date. So, the earliest I can take it is December 21, I believe. I know...right before Christmas. ug! I think I might try to take it that day, if there is a location open, or else I might have to wait until after Christmas. But I really want to take it as soon as possible so I can work as soon as possible (or worse case scenario if for some horrible reason I fail the exam...I can retake it as soon as possible - which I believe you have to wait 90 days! ack!).

Anywho, so not only am I thinking about this & my school responsibilites for the Fall, but I am also seriously putting thought into WHAT I WANT TO DO. I think I have narrowed it down to either family/internal medicine at an outpatient clinic or oncology at MD Anderson. I got that call on Sunday from an internal med doc that I worked with last Fall who has an opening and is interested in talking to me about it, and there is another family med doc that I also rotated with & really clicked with that I am planning on talking to soon. And of course, I loved, loved my time at MD Anderson & cancer patients will always have a special place in my heart. So, why is this so hard to decide? Well, I LOVE both. There is a part of me that thinks it might be good to work in general internal medicine for a while before specializing in something like oncology in order to get a good basis. Although that is not necessary in order to get a job in a specialty. I met several PAs at MDA that started there straight after school. I would probably get better pay & benefits at a place like MDA compared to working at a small clinic, but money isn't everything....especially not right out of school. There is always time to make more money later once I am more experienced. But I loved both! So, you see my dilemma. I am hoping that when it comes time to officially apply for jobs, that it will all fall into place. As my parents always say, things always work out for the best, so don't worry.

Oh, and by the way, next Wed & Thurs, I will spend some time in plastic surgery at the VA in the med center. So, if I really like that, that could throw another wrench in the thinking machine. And yes, I still like surgery....

Then, of course, where I get a job will dictate where we move. So, there is that to think about, too. One of the docs is in Alvin, one is in Katy, and MDA is in the Medical Center. Then there is always the thought of trying to move back to The Woodlands area. Spending the day there on Wednesday was soooo nice (& we would be closer to my parents and some of my friends).

See, lots to think about.

I know it'll all fall into place when the time comes.

I periodically read some of my previous blogs, and found this one from this past Fall. A good one & fitting for this blog. Doc, in this blog, is the one in Alvin. The blog is: Circle of Life

2 comments:

Jen said...

Girl, I do not admire you for having to make these hard decisions; however, I do admire you for all the hard, dedicated work you've put into you and your new career!

You'll be diva fabulousness at whatever field you choose. It'll be good for you, but more so for the patients who will be lucky enough to cross your path.

Good luck!

tt said...

I totally agree. Whatever field you pick, the patients who are lucky enough to have you will prosper...because of yur charm. You're the whole package sweetie!