Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Circle of life

So, I spent my day with Doc (the MD I am working with right now...they actually call her Doc) at a very nice nursing home, and it reminded me how much I love old people! Geriatrics does have some depressing aspects to it, but most of it is actually very rewarding. I spent an entire month training in geritriac inpatient care 2 months ago and really enjoyed a lot! It is very challenging since so many of them have a lot of health issues, but it is very interesting, too. Plus, I love to be challenged. It made me realize just how much our elders really are amazing people. Most of them are very grateful for your help, and many just enjoy having someone around who will listen. They have been through so much & have many great stories to tell. I have met several who cracked me up & made me smile with their great sense of humor & great spirit. It's hard to not get close to some of them & their families. During my month in geri, one of my patients passed away, and it was emotionally tough. I tried so hard to be strong when I was talking to the family, but the HUMAN WITH FEELINGS came out and I sat down & cried a little with the family. I think that they were actually glad to see how much I cared. I realized it is ok to be human when being a caretaker. It's ok to show emotion. It was a tough experience, but I think these experiences make me a stronger person. They also teach me about life & death issues, which in turn will help me help my future patients and their families. I've already dealt with death a few times just in my short time in my clinicals, BUT I have also seen many more people get well.....babys be born....and even got to deliver one baby....and help with many others......that circle of life we always talk about.....it's amazing.

I'm still not sure what area I will work in, but family/internal medicine will be at the top of my list of possibilities....that way I can work with all ages from kiddos to elders AND I get to be involved in many aspects of medicine. We shall see....

No comments: