Thursday, August 23, 2007

Any Advice?

I am going to spend part of today polishing my resume & constructing a cover letter. I periodically update my resume when I have something to add, and have done some polishing already since graduation is on the horizon. BUT now I have to get really serious. I am officially sending it out tomorrow to a potential employer. EEK! This is someone that I think I would really enjoy working for, and may have some great opportunities with. So, I need to shine. They already really enjoyed working with me during my clinical rotation & said "would hire me in a heartbeat," but I still want to do my best to impress. Believe it or not, I have never needed to write a cover letter, so this will be my first. It may be difficult for my loyal readers to give me specific advice since none are in the medical field, but any advice would be great. Luckily the hubby, who worked for a recruiting company years ago, said he will help me out. Hopefully he'll be home in time!

Feel free to give me your comments!!!

Oh, and wish me luck!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

in doing some research some now say the cover letter is more important than the resume. not that this makes me any sort of expert on what to write. . . . if you make a statement about yourself be sure to back it up with fact.

it sounds like the hubby can give you more sound advice! keep us posted!

-jen

Allison Horner said...

Yeah, I have been reading the same advice about making sure your coverletter stands out. Also, I used to be told that you should keep your resume to 1 page, but that is no longer the case if by doing so it leaves out important info about you. So, mine is now 2 pages, yet still concise. I think.

Jen said...

How'd it go? Did you done good?

\Actually, I'm not wishing you any luck as you do not need it! You're exceptional & if they've already mentioned they'd hire you, then they already know that about you.

Allison Horner said...

Hubby didn't get a chance to review it since he got home kinda late from his travels, but I had reviewed it a million times. I used a coverletter example from the American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA) website & almost completely changed/personalized it to suit my needs. It was a good guide, though. I also took the advice that I have been reading & revised my resume.

So, we'll see what happens. I think I done good. :)

I still have a bit of time before the job options/offers get really serious since I probably won't be able to work until Jan or Feb due to time it will take to get certification & licensing.

I am still undecided between family/internal medicine and oncology....