Sunday, February 10, 2008

It's so hard to say goodbye

I have not been energetic enough or happy enough to be blogging, but am doing a little better today.

I was debating with myself whether or not to blog about this, but thought it might be a bit therapeutic. I wish not to discuss it further than what I type here, so please refrain from questions. Nice comments are always welcome, but please no questions. It's too hard.

Those of you that know me know just how much I am an animal lover and I love my dear pets, as crazy as they are sometimes, with all of my heart. They are very precious to me & truly do enrich my life in many ways.

Marci, the torbi kitten, was the newest addition to our family and have only had her a short time. She turned 11 months this month. Unfortunately, she got VERY sick this past week, of which details I will not go into & after one trip to the ER vet and another trip to her regular vet, we had to make the very difficult and devastating decision yesterday to put her down. That was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make in my entire life. AND I was so completely torn up & such an emotional wreck (and still somewhat am), I had to have Hubby go sign the papers at the vet for me. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. And yes, I feel horrible that he was the one who had to be strong, but he is much stronger than I am when it comes to those things. Yesterday just plain SUCKED. It was awful. I cried off and on all day. It was one of THE worst days of my life. Today, I am still very sad & grieving over the loss of my beloved, cute, precious, little Marci. I loved her so much & have to fight back tears (I am as I type this) ever time something makes me think of her. She was such a sweet, sweet kitty.

Those of you that are not animals lovers, probably don't understand what I am feeling. But to me, it feels like I lost a family member & a friend. Though, I only had her since this summer, it was long enough that I loved her so much & became very bonded with her. I am very torn up about it & will be for a long time. I have lost pets in the past, but I have never had to put one down myself before & it sucks. It is so hard. But, I know it was the best thing for her. We couldn't see her suffer or deteriorate anymore. But it is still so hard.

Someday I am sure I will get another little female kitty, but it will be A LONG time before I am ready for that again. I feel like it just wouldn't be fair to Marci because she cannot be replaced. And emotionally (and time-wise), I can't handle getting another one for a long time.

It was a tough week as it was starting a new, stressful job & then to end on such a devasting note, just ruined it. But it is a new week & life goes on & every day will be a little easier and a little better.

Life goes on & I am thankful to have such a loving supportive husband & my pets & my parents who helped me get through it this weekend.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, Alli. . . I started crying as soon as I read Marci's name, b/c I knew what was coming.

I understand how you feel right now. I can't stop crying and I know that doesn't make you feel any better.

I was blessed to meet Marci - she was just like a dog. I'm so very sorry. So, so sorry. She was a precious and precocious little cat. Charming and loving all balled up into one teeny-tiny creature.

She had a wonderful home. She could not have found a better home for herself. And even Simon and Merlah loved her too - I could see it. What wasn't to love, right?

You gave her that. She couldn't have asked for more.

God bless her little soul & keep watch over her; you'll find a good friend in her.

meno said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful kitty. I know how it hurts.

tt said...

Aw babe....we're so sorry. You and Pups have such loving hearts. That's such a hard decision, one we've had to go through too, but I applaud you two for being so strong and thinking of precious Marci.
May God bless you both during the days that follow..our hearts are with you.
xo

R.E.H. said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. It must have been a heartbreaking decision to make.

I'll keep you, and Marci, in my thoughts.

ETK said...

Alli, I'm so sorry - I know how hard this has been for you and Scott too - I could hear the heartbreak in his voice. You guys are such good people and parents. You know we support you and know that you made the right and best decision possible.

We love you!!!!

Sunshine said...

Punky and I send all of our love to you! We're so sorry you have to go through this, I know how hard it is. xo