Thursday, June 7, 2007

What I'm up to at MDA

So, as I said before, I am spending the month in surgical oncology at MDA, specifically in gastrointestinal clinics. It's amazing just HOW specialized the surgeons are. For example, I spent one day (& will be there tomorrow again) in the colorectal cancer clinic. Today I was in an upper GI clinic with a surgeon and his PA who specialize mostly in gastric (stomach) cancer and cancer of the appendix. I have also spent some time in a liver, gallbladder, and pancreas cancer clinic. Another day was in an endocrine clinic with Thyroid, Parathyroid, Adrenal, and other endocrine cancers. Like I said, very specialized. The nice thing about how specialized they are with these cancers, is that they know SO MUCH about them. These surgeons and PAs are amazing! So many of the patients are so grateful and express so much thanks, even if they may not necessarily be cured.

Unfortunately, my time in the OR is a lot less. I have only been in 4 surgeries (over 2 days....one was a 7 hour surgery), but it is good to see how surgical clinics are ran. If I end up working at MD Anderson, it is less likely that I would actually work in the OR if I go into surgical oncology. Most PAs in surg onc work in the outpatient clinics. There are some surgical PAs at MD Anderson, but that's pretty much where they spend their time. Where ever I end up, I do want clinic time so I can talk with patients. I wouldn't want to JUST have OR time. Having that patient contact (while they are awake) can be so rewarding.

So as you see, I'm staying very busy at MDA. This month there is just a taste. Since I am only there a month, am circulating in several different GI clinics, and don't have a strong cancer background, this just gives me the exposure to see what it is like to work there. A lot of being a newbe PA after graduation & certification, is being trained on the job. There would be a pretty good sized learning curve as a new PA there, but that's normal...and very doable. The education never ends. I will forever be a student of medicine, I find that exciting!

I am REALLY enjoying my time at MD Anderson!!! Everyone has been great & I am learning a lot!

Maybe this is my calling....

2 comments:

tt said...

With this and what you've said in earlier post I'd say you may very well be on to something. I'm glad you are wanting some one-on-one time with patients. I think it would be a shame to waste your empathy being in surgery all the time. Not that that isn't a worthwile calling I just think you have talent in many areas. We're confident you will excell in any endeavor you take on.
:)

Jen said...

The husband says that the limited patient contact is tough for him as well. He said it's also hard not to find out how things in the end go for them (unless they mak it back to the ER). So, on a limited scale, I understand where you're coming from in wanting patient contact and follow thru.

Besides Alli, your personality is such that these patients need you on a personal level. Not just your expertise in surgery. Any one of them should be so lucky to cross your path.