Sunday, June 3, 2007

I'm still here....

I just haven't felt inspired or I've been too busy to blog, but I'm here.

I was busy this past week starting my new rotation at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in H-town. So far it's going well and I am enjoying it. The first day (which was Wednesday) was mostly orientation, meeting my preceptors, spending a little time in GI surgical oncology clinic (GI is short for gastrointestinal), and getting some teaching from my preceptors (a preceptor is the person(s) that teach me & who I report to). Thursday I spent the day in the operating room watching/assisting in some surgeries. Most of what I will see in the OR is going to be some sort of resection & repairs in order to remove tumors and lymph nodes. Friday was another clinic day. I was a good first week. Tomorrow I will be in the OR again watching a long 5-6 hr surgery known as a "whipple," which is usually performed on someone who has pancreatic cancer. Should be an interesting surgery. I have felt this pull towards M.D. Anderson & oncology for several years now, and have it high on my list of possible career places. They are the largest employer of PAs in the US & are hiring more and more all the time as PAs are finding their nitch in oncology. I hear from everyone I meet that works or has worked there (or has been a patient) that it is a great place. One of my preceptors told me that he has had 6 students with him before me & 4 of them ended up workig there. I guess we shall see what happens. I'll let you know how the month progresses.

This weekend has been a good one. Friday night we just had a casual dinner at our local Chili's. Saturday we went neighborhood & house researching. We aren't planning on moving yet, but are planning on buying a bigger single-family home, maybe closer to town, within the next 2 years. One of the locations that we like is the newer areas of Pearland near 288. This area would shorten hubby's commute by a lot! And it would only be about 20-30 minute commute to the Med Center, which is good if I end up working there. One of the new neighborhoods that we like is Southern Trails in Pearland. There is an Ashton Woods home that we absolutely love! It is the Cypress plan. More photos & virtual tour. Here is a pic of the elevation we like.



Hubby LOVES that it has a 3 car-garage with one being separate so he can store & work on the "Italian sports car:"

That was a fun day of dreaming. :)

Today we did some clothes shopping for Alli for some nice shirts that I can wear under my white clinic coat. The long sleeved button downs are hot this time a year under that coat, and pull too much. Ugh. So, I did some bargain shopping at the Gap, Express, & Banana Republic. Mostly bought things on sale of course. I don't know what my problem is, maybe part of it is that I am in school & not making money, but I have such a hard time spending money sometimes....especially on myself. I am such a cheap@$$ when it comes to shopping for me. Don't get me wrong, I like trendy things at times and have a thing for some name brand stuff....but I have a hard time spending $78 for one shirt. Put it on sale for 50% off, and then maybe I'll consider it. Maybe someday I'll get over that....

Now I need to stop blabbering & get to studying. I have my final ER/Surgery exam coming up in 2.5 weeks, I gots lots to read!!!

Ciao for now.

4 comments:

tt said...

I love that house! It would be ferfect for you guys. It will be an exciting time for you two whenever you graduate and get on with your lives...making careers and doing all the future planning stuff. Exciting! Merlah would love that house too. More room for her to roam :) The 3rd car garage would be especially nice for Pups and his 'projects'. ;)
We're just so proud of you guys and excited for all the good things that will come!
I'm with you on the clothes thing. Not sure why it's so hard to spend $$ on ourselves. I don't bat an eye on spending $$ on Lovee. I know it's got nothing to do with feeling 'unworthy' but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it'll remain one of lifes mysteries. :)

tt said...

Also...
I read about yur Whipple operation...I find it interesting that patients my not be able to tolerate very sweet foods afterwards. Geesh, tht alone would make me depressed..
the survival rate after such an operation doesn't sound very encouraging either. Silly me, I think I'd rather have the sweets and go out with brownie bits on my mouth. ;)

Allison Horner said...

It is fun buying stuff for the hubby, isn't it? I find joy in buying stuff for others. I think also, when I was in single, working, and in the best-shape-of-my life, shopping for myself was more fun. ;p Now, I usually prefer buying for others. :)

The Whipple today was very interesting. It was 7 straight hours long. PHEW!!! Very interesting though. And even though there was the attending surgeon & a fellow (doctor training in a very specific field), I still got some hands-on experience.

tt said...

How exciting for you! I wish the hospitals would let an average lay person in the OR to watch...I'd be there so fast the doors would fly off their hinges. ha ha
And, honey if I were your size...I'd buy the stores out! It is really gratifying to get things for others that's for sure. I do so enjoy that.