Friday, December 21, 2007

The Most Wonderful Time of Year

My response to a recent discussion over that CNN article I posted about below:

Christ is the reason for the season:
Isn't it ironic just how SENSITIVE our nation has become with not wanting to offend anyone that "we" end up offending many. When did things get so complicated? Sometimes it makes me not want to turn on the TV or read the internet.

Giving is ok:
I think giving to our family and friends this time of year is a great thing, especially if for the right reasons. It's the idea of giving, not the actual gift, that means the most. Giving to charitable organizations is also a good thing. Whether it is simply donating clothes or food or volunteering or giving a monitary contribution. We can all give a little in our own way.

It's not about material goods:
We do live in a world of such excess. We want more & more and have become so insatiable. There is never enough. For many living that kind of life, it just makes them more unhappy. I at times think I could do with less, but then again, compared to many people I know, I am doing pretty good. I try hard not to let material things be the key to my sustained happiness, because I know it simply isn't what makes me happy. I do admit, though, it is difficult at times to not fall into the material wants traps. Especially in this state. Everyone here wants bigger more luxurious cars, bigger, fancier homes, huge flat screen TVs & all the latest techy stuff, couture clothing, fine dining, etc. People that chase these things the most, seem to be the least happiest with their lives. Interesting. I really & truly don't want to end up like that.

Grinches & Scrooges:
One thing that does bug me about this time of year is how GROUCHY and MEAN people can be on the roads & in the stores/malls. I was merging in traffic the other day & this woman IN A MINIVAN of all things, was screaming obscenities to me. Apparently my merging in front of her was a huge inconveinence to her and her shopping. How do these people live with themselves? It's unfortunate that they act like that at all, let alone this HOLY time of year.

Anywhoodles....

I have a lot to be thankful for. I am grateful for my wonderful family and friends. I am fortunate to have a bright future. I am blessed with good health. What more could one ask for?

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas season & Happy New Year.

Merry CHRISTmas to all!

xxxooo

4 comments:

Valley Girl said...

Yeah, its funny how ridiculous our society can be at times.

Anonymous said...

RE: the minivan woman: the poor woman. She has to live with that head. It's heartbreaking.

tt said...

I concur whole heartedly!!!
It's amazing how people can act. I try and be careful because I firmly believe in Karma...in that whatever we put out there will come back to us. And I don't need any more s**t!
:)

Allison Horner said...

Can I just say I HIGHLY dislike driving/shopping this time of year. People turn rude &/or stupid...