Thursday, October 2, 2008

We Survived Ike!

Well, we survived Ike. Thankfully, my family and I got through the storm without major problems. We are ok, my parents' home is fine, and our cars are ok. We did have a lot of trees down & a lot of debris, but it is mostly cleaned up now. The house and my sister's car were JUST missed by trees. Thank God they weren't hit. The house only sustained a small hole in the roof, which is now patched and the power lines were severed, but also repaired. We had NO electricity for 2 weeks! Thankfully Dad has a generator and we were able to have the fridge plugged in, fans, cell phones, and eventually we plugged in window A/C units due to the increasing heat after the storm passed. We got electricity back on this weekend. Let me just say that I LOVE ELECTRICITY, HOT SHOWERS, AND A/C!!! These trully are luxuries that we take for granted. I sooooo appreciate them now if I didn't before. :)

My family and I sure are blessed. As you have probably heard and seen, so many people here were not so lucky. I hears some of the people I know in Galveston lost their homes or nearly lost them and much of their property. Some lost their lives. The losses are horrific. AND I AM SOOOO GLAD hubby & I had already sold our home before the storm....we don't even know yet how it did through the storm. Our old neighborhood is much closer to the coast compared to where my parents' home is. I hope it is ok... but thank God we aren't there any more!!!

Here are some of my storm pics....

11 comments:

ETK said...

Hola Chica! Yay! so glad you are all OK and didn't suffer much damage. I am glad you got electricity and stuff back too. Can't wait to see you in a WEEK and a HALF!

Yippee!

Ian said...

Glad you made it through okay. I'm definitely thinking of investing in a generator sometime soon...

Jen said...

Thomas has always wanted a generator. I never saw a need of one. I think I am wrong. Must get one!

I'm glad you made it through okay no one or thing was harmed and that is a blessing!

The Whinery Family said...

I hope you're engoying living with your parents (except for going two weeks without power!!)! How exciting to be building a new home!
Knowing your parents, I am sure their yard is back to looking picture perfect. :)
Enjoy your weekend!
-Christine

Sunshine said...

I'm so glad you all made it through without a scratch!!!

Great lot :) Can't wait to see the house on it!!!

tt said...

Holy cow!!
I didn't know the lines to the house were severed. yeow!!
great pics. Guess now you'll have plenty of firewood.
Glad too about the 'misses'...you all had Angels in your pockets!
hugs and loves....Hi to the Mom and Dad...glad they're ok too!!!

Real Live Lesbian said...

I just can't imagine what you folks have had to go through! Glad that all's okay, but oh what a mess!

P.S. I'm lovin' that weiner! Too cute!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear everyone's okay!!
And I'm still here...I just have a new home. Click me. :)
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
xo

timmie said...

Thanks for sending your blog again, Alli... Wow. So many Ike yikes! Those are the first photos I've seen of the downed trees and the property clean-up. Also, I haven't seen pics of Ian for ages. He's grown so! He looks like his big brother. I've done a piece about Ike in REUNION which will be in the mail after the election.

Janine / Being Brazen said...

Glad you and your family are ok. :)

Allison Horner said...

Thanks for the kind words, all!