Friday, February 2, 2007

6 done, 5 to go

I have already completed over half of my clinical rotations. OBGYN, pediatrics, geriatrics, internal medicine, underserved family medicine, & family medicine. On Monday I start my cardiology rotation. I better review my EKG reading this weekend!!!

I really enjoyed this past family medicine rotation in Katy. The phyisician and his staff were great! He's a very intelligent, compassionate, but strict doctor. He is great with his patients & staff, and runs a tight ship! I admire that. He was great about giving me good feedback, and a little constructive criticism. On my last day, which was this past Wednesday, he surprised me with a flattering question. "So, would you consider running the clinic across the street with another PA or physician?" HUH??? I replied with a "uhhh....maybe after some experience." He said,"Oh, you can do it now...you have experience." WHAT??? I replied, "I would consider that kind of opportunity if the other person I was working with had a lot of experience .....in case I have questions.".....I will have A LOT of questions. Well, it was very flattering. As I was leaving at the end of the day, he repeated that I should contact him when I graduate and that I would have a position. Again, very flattering. The only problem is that I don't graduate until December & then have to take my board exam.....so I probably won't be ready/certified until Jan 2008....a year away. Can the 2 physicians that have offered me a position wait that long???? Well, I guess even if they can't wait, perhaps they would know other people at that time who will need a hard working PA. It definitely is nice hearing good feedback. It helps the confidence level. You know as a student, there are so many times that we question our abilities & are eager to gain more experience. So, the good feedback is much needed. :)

4 comments:

ETK said...

But across the street is not in ATLANTA. THAT DOES NOT WORK FOR ME.

:)

Because it is all about me, right?

Allison Horner said...

;)

Anonymous said...

From what I understand, you can work as soon as you graduate. You only have to take (and pass) your boards within the allotted time of your contract with whomever you may sign with.

If anything, it's a start for your career if that is the route you choose to go.

That's awesome, btw! It IS a nice ego enhancer!

Allison Horner said...

You are exactly correct. As soon as I have my degree and certification, I can work with any doctor that will take me in. Just the thought of possibly running a new clinic was kinda a scary thought without having any experience. I definitely would need to be with a Physician or another PA with a lot of experience. :) I will have much more to learn. :)